Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'm Still Here! (Really!)

Wow! I haven't posted here in a really long time! So much has happened in the past 8 months!

First, school: Over the past 2 semesters (spring/summer 2011 and fall 2011) I finished my on-campus coursework. This semester (winter 2012) I am taking a couple of on-line courses and working at a full-time internship in a public school. The end is in sight! I'm working with elementary-age kids with a variety of speech and language disorders, from articulation disorders to the autism spectrum. It's challenging, but the kids are great and I love my supervisor!


In January, the whole class took (and passed, whew!) the department exam, which covered everything we learned over the past 5 semesters. Two weeks after that, most of us (all but 2, I believe) took the Praxis test, which is the national test that is required for licensure and our C's (the C's are the "Certificate of Clinical Compentence," which is abbreviated "CCC-SLP" for speech pathologists and "CCC-AuD" for audiologists - hence, "C's"). We got our scores on the Praxis on February 7th, and I'm proud to say that I passed with a very good score!


I also published my final newsletter for the student organization, and passed that responsibility on to the next class historian. I'm quite looking forward to getting my first newsletter from her to see what she will do with it!


In March, I will be presenting a paper from my Dysphagia class (last summer) at the Michigan Speech-Language and Hearing Association's annual conference in Kalamazoo, along with 5 of my classmates. I'm a bit nervous, I have to say. Of course, I've given any number of presentations over the past couple of years (if you look back, you'll see some past commentary on group projects), but this is the first one I've given that isn't primarily in front of my classmates or other students. This will be in front of professional SLP's who might very well (I assume nothing, of course) know more about the topic than I do. But it will be fine - my professor wouldn't have asked us to present if she didn't think the papers we wrote were good, right? Because it would reflect badly on her if they were lame. I'll still stress a bit about it because that's what I do.


So, that's school. Graduation is in May, and I need to start looking for a job now, but I'll post more about that later. On to the knitting!


In December, I made a really excellent driving cap for my husband, using the Morgan pattern by Anne Kuo Lukito from http://www.knitty.com/. It came out awesome, if I do say so myself, and he loved it!



Also finished some socks I started (*cough*) three years (*cough*) ago:



I also finished a couple of other projects, but I'll finish posting them later. This post is already getting long.





No comments:

Post a Comment