Friday, October 12, 2012

It's been ... One Week

First week on the new job is officially over, and I'm still here.  There were moments when I had my doubts that would be the case.  But I now know what my caseload will be, and brought home a TON of files to go through to start to get to know the kids and plan what I want to do with them when I start seeing them. 

I have about 20 students with ASD, and the rest of my kids are regular ed language and artic.  I am going to be busy! 

It feels very odd to me when I wake up in the morning and remember that this isn't just a semester-long gig - I'm not a student anymore, and this is real life.  I don't stop working with these kids and get a re-set in December/January.  It's been a couple of years since I could think like that, and it's going to take some getting used to.

Also learning a little bit about the school building I'm in - for the first 3 days this week, it has been absolutely freezing in the building, then yesterday they seemed to turn on the heat and today it was swelteringly hot in my office (I have my own office!  I'm so excited!).  Also, internet service was down in the building today (which I'm told is a regular occurrence), and it stopped working while I was in the middle of writing an electronic IEP that is due tomorrow.  Fun.  Oh, well, I can only do so much, and I did contact the mom today, so we are all good.

Tomorrow I go to renew my CPR certification (the contract company requires it, since they place a lot of people in medical settings, and I figured it was a good idea to have it anyway), then I'm going to spend my weekend getting up to speed with about half my caseload.  Maybe I'll bring home the other half next week.  Wish me luck.

No knitting to speak of this week, although I did add a couple of squares to my sock mini blanket while I watched the vice-presidential debate last night.  I don't know if I'll ever finish that blanket, considering how rarely I work on it, but I just love the idea of it so much that I keep pulling it out periodically.  I do need to make the boy some new mittens for this winter, and I guess I should get on that, since the weather has turned very definitely cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment